Wouldn’t it be nice to not worry about anything?
And I mean ANYTHING.
Yeah right! Like that’s ever going to happen!
But imagine a life where you trust God so utterly and unwaveringly that you actually stop worrying. Doesn’t that sound appealing?
God has made some pretty radical claims about Himself. If He wasn’t God I’d say He was verging on arrogant, but given He’s the guy who put the stars in the heavens and thought of creating us humans in all our hilarious, beautiful, complexity, I’ll let Him off.
He says we can trust Him, that He’ll provide, comfort us, give us peace, lighten our load, save us and heal us. Can we trust He will?
Trusting is one of those sneaky, pesky things that’s easier said than done. Especially when life’s fallen apart and we’re overwhelmed, hurting and our hearts are aching for the way things were. Life’s gone to hell in a handbasket and He didn’t stop it, so how can we trust Him now?
The other morning I was struggling with this exact question just before I was about to do my Facebook Live: Thrive on Thursday It had been a rough morning (note the British understatement) and I just didn’t have the capacity to trust God it would all be OK. I couldn’t see it so didn’t believe it. Have you ever felt like that?
So, my grit and old school gumption came out to kick me around and I gave myself a bit of a talking to. Here’s what I said,
“Trusting God is a choice girl. You don’t get to wait until your feelings are all smiling and willing to play.
YOU’VE JUST GOT TO DO IT.”
I ended up making myself a simple 5 step process to trusting God when you don’t feel like it, and boy does it work!
5 Simple Steps to Trusting God When You Don’t Feel Like It
- Check God’s Credentials: Before we trust anyone, from a doctor to a car mechanic we check them out. How are their references, what do friends say about them? With God, we can do the same. What does the bible say about Him? Does He seem trustworthy in the stories we read about Him in its pages? What do your friends who don’t worry so much say about Him?
- Ask Him for Help: No one said trusting God with our shattered lives is easy but God wants to help us trust Him. If we ask, He will strengthen and build our trust. In fact, He’s delighted to help. We just need to say “God, I’m really struggling to trust you with this diagnosis right now. Please help me.”
- CHOOSE to Trust: Trust is a verb, an action, a doing word. Trust isn’t something I can do for you. We have to do it by ourselves, for ourselves. IT is a choice we have to make even when we don’t feel like it. We don’t need to feel like cooking dinner to do it and in the same way, we don’t need our emotion’s permission to trust God. We just have to do it. I know it sounds harsh, but it’s true.
- Let Go: Whether we know it or not, whether it’s intentional or not, we all trust in something right now. What are you trusting? Your self? the doctors? Other people? In order to fully trust God, we have to let go of trusting these other things and grasp hold of God with both hands. We can’t hedge our bets and put all our trust in both.
- Keep a Record: As we start to trust God, even with the small stuff, and we see Him come through, it’s a great idea to keep track of how He shows up. Write in a journal, record it on your phone, but by tracking the ways we feel His faithfulness it builds our confidence Him for the future, raises our expectations of what He will do and sets us up to trust Him more as time goes by. It’s like paying into a trust bank.
These five steps helped me trust God more especially when it’s the last thing I want to do, and I hope it helps you. I made you this handy, dandy infographic to print off and keep.